Monday, February 5, 2007

Iraqi official admits Palestinians are targetted

Gulf News reports that Iraqi Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs, Lubaid Abbawi, said: "I met with [Palestinian] Ambassador Kassous and informed him that the Iraqi government is willing to provide safer places for Palestinian residents than the ones they are living in, which makes them vulnerable to terrorist attacks. Targeting Palestinians is part of the daily situation in which Iraqis live, although some cases might be addressed to Palestinians in particular."

Mohammad Al Natur, a Palestinian resident of Baladiyat said: "I hid my true identity while moving from Baladiyat district to other districts. A friend of mine helped me carry an Iraqi sport ID which doesn't mention the nationality of its holder. I also have a perfect Iraqi accent. I was born in Baghdad and I have lived here for 40 years." The misery among the people of Baladiyat district is seen at a first glance. Families live in two-room apartments. The majority of Palestinian residents sell sweets or work in restaurants selling felafel, chickpeas and beans.